Our ancestors may say that our modern times are crazy, but we have the same opinion about the past. Strange beauty contests, demonstrations, and old school devices show us the reckless part of the old days. It’s kind of exciting to find out that the lives of our parents weren’t boring at all.
We at BoredFeed have a renewed faith in the fact that vintage photos can be very amusing and never stop surprising us.
1. A 24-year-old model climbs out of the back of a Russian Moskvich 427 car at a car trade show. This was very brave for that time.
2. Pretty legs contest in Istanbul, the 1970s
3. A policeman stops traffic to allow 4 Chicks to cross a bridge in London, 1966
4. Eric Sykes revives the “mass shaving machine,” an invention from the 19th century that can shave a dozen men at the same time, 1960
5. Sub-Lieutenant Alan Hogarth walks on the River Thames on polystyrene shoes which he constructed by himself, 1971
6. Londoners show how air raid precautions in England thwarted the romantic influence of mistletoe around Christmas time, 1940
7. Russian sledding in the USSR: The butt was the most vulnerable place.
8. A pilot drives an experimental Rolls Royce machine known as the “Flying Bedstead.”
9. Feeling free. Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro, the 1970s
10. 2 waiters serve 2 steelworkers lunch on a girder in New York City, November 14, 1930
11. Skateboarding at Hyde School in 1982. He’s too cool to walk.
12. A German soldier drives motorcycles from a chariot in a competition at the Potsdam Army Show, 1938
13. U.S. President Richard Nixon stands on the bumper of his car to reach people and shake their hands.
14. Strongman “Butty” Sugrue uses his teeth to hold up Irish singer Bridie Gallagher on her chair, 1959
15. The Great Depression, a thousand unemployed people demonstrate in London, October 31, 1932
16. PSA flight attendants: Miniskirts and nice legs were required.
17. A plastic mask for swimming, 1925
18. Roller derby in 1950: This is how you step on someone’s face.
19. This show is not for the faint of heart.
20. When doing the twist in 1962, the lower the better.
Which picture impressed you the most? Do you have any cool pictures of your parents?
Preview photo credit Evening Standard / Stringer / Getty Images